Upon graduating from Columbia University in 2005, Guy moved to Beijing to found his first startup. Since then Guy has been a serial entrepreneur in China and in 2010 sold his third startup’s core technology to a publicly listed company. Guy is currently co-founder and CEO of education company Vericant which helps US schools to better understand their Chinese applicants through on-demand video interviews. Vericant is backed by Shunwei Capital, one of China’s top tier venture capital firms with Xiaomi’s founder Lei Jun as its Founding Partner.
Key points covered:
- Guy’s background and how did he come to start Vericant?
- University admissions is a competitive niche, how does Vericant differentiate from competitors?
- Why did Shunwei invest in Vericant? Why did Vericant take capital from Shunwei?
- What to get out of Board meetings?
- What are the learnings from managing a distributed team?
Favourite book: The Five Dysfunctions of a Team by Patrick Lencioni
Most inspiring education company: Vipkid founded by Mi Wenjuan
Hutong (Ad)Ventures is a podcast on how to succeed in China featuring top venture capital investors, founders and operators with real China experiences. Hutong (Ad)Ventures is part of Haymarket HQ. Hosted by Jemma Xu.