Simon Henry together with co-founder Andrew Taylor, recently launched Uwai – a tourism platform supporting Chinese tourists to explore and engage with local businesses, governments and corporations. Launched in South Australia only a few weeks ago, Uwai has already onboarded 850 businesses and will be rolling out across tourist destinations globally. Simon and Andrew are probably best known for co-founding Juwai, one of China’s largest global property portals and one of the few trusted brands created by foreigners. They successfully exited Juwai in Dec 2016.
Key points covered:
- Simon’s background and what led to Juwai and Uwai.
- What was it like to exit Juwai? Did you have any issues?
- What are the top 3 learnings from Juwai that have been applied to Uwai?
- What is the business model for UWai?
- Content and channels – Different methods of getting to the target consumers for Juwai and Uwai
- Why launch in Adelaide, not in cities more popular with Chinese tourists?
- How to build a global team from Day 1?
Favourite book: Platform Revolution by Geoffrey Parker
Hutong (Ad)Ventures is a podcast on how to succeed in China featuring top venture capital investors, founders and operators with real China experiences. Hutong (Ad)Ventures is part of Haymarket HQ. Hosted by Jemma Xu.