Upon graduating from Columbia University in 2005, Guy moved to Beijing to found his first startup. Since then Guy has been a serial entrepreneur in China and in 2010 sold his third startup’s core technology to a publicly listed company. Guy is currently co-founder and CEO of education company Vericant which helps US schools to better understand their Chinese applicants through on-demand video interviews. Vericant is backed by Shunwei Capital, one of China’s top tier venture capital firms with Xiaomi’s founder Lei Jun as its Founding Partner.
Key points covered:
- Guy’s background and how did he come to start Vericant?
- University admissions is a competitive niche, how does Vericant differentiate from competitors?
- Why did Shunwei invest in Vericant? Why did Vericant take capital from Shunwei?
- What to get out of Board meetings?
- What are the learnings from managing a distributed team?
Favourite book: The Five Dysfunctions of a Team by Patrick Lencioni
Most inspiring education company: Vipkid founded by Mi Wenjuan
Hutong (Ad)Ventures is a podcast on how to succeed in China featuring top venture capital investors, founders and operators with real China experiences. Hutong (Ad)Ventures is part of Haymarket HQ. Hosted by Jemma Xu.
Latest posts by Jemma Xu (see all)
- Hutong (Ad)Ventures #10: Xinhua Zhou – SVP Operations @Terminus Technologies, ex-GP @Everbright – Focus New Media Fund - December 11, 2017
- Hutong (Ad)Ventures #9: Guy Sivan – Founder @ Vericant - November 6, 2017
- Hutong (Ad)Ventures #8: Michelle Garnaut – Pioneering restaurateur, founder @ M Restaurant Group - October 12, 2017