Simon Henry together with co-founder Andrew Taylor, recently launched Uwai – a tourism platform supporting Chinese tourists to explore and engage with local businesses, governments and corporations. Launched in South Australia only a few weeks ago, Uwai has already onboarded 850 businesses and will be rolling out across tourist destinations globally. Simon and Andrew are probably best known for co-founding Juwai, one of China’s largest global property portals and one of the few trusted brands created by foreigners. They successfully exited Juwai in Dec 2016.
Key points covered:
- Simon’s background and what led to Juwai and Uwai.
- What was it like to exit Juwai? Did you have any issues?
- What are the top 3 learnings from Juwai that have been applied to Uwai?
- What is the business model for UWai?
- Content and channels – Different methods of getting to the target consumers for Juwai and Uwai
- Why launch in Adelaide, not in cities more popular with Chinese tourists?
- How to build a global team from Day 1?
Favourite book: Platform Revolution by Geoffrey Parker
Hutong (Ad)Ventures is a podcast on how to succeed in China featuring top venture capital investors, founders and operators with real China experiences. Hutong (Ad)Ventures is part of Haymarket HQ. Hosted by Jemma Xu.
Latest posts by Jemma Xu (see all)
- Hutong (Ad)Ventures #10: Xinhua Zhou – SVP Operations @Terminus Technologies, ex-GP @Everbright – Focus New Media Fund - December 11, 2017
- Hutong (Ad)Ventures #9: Guy Sivan – Founder @ Vericant - November 6, 2017
- Hutong (Ad)Ventures #8: Michelle Garnaut – Pioneering restaurateur, founder @ M Restaurant Group - October 12, 2017